Saturday, November 24, 2012

Questions

I went for a check-up with my OB last Wednesday and actually had a whole list of questions in mind for her. But first I had to face an overly chatty MA who hadn't even checked my chart before saying, 'You had your baby! She must be so big!' As she continued on to try and guess how old 'she' was, I sat there stunned. Honestly so confused. Finally I stopped her and said, 'He didn't make it.' She paused for a moment to apologize, then went back to her chattering. I honestly don't know what else she said. And it breaks my heart so much to have to correct people that my baby died. It seriously sucks.
Finally Dr. Pray came in. First she thanked me for the card we sent her. I had to let her know how amazing she as been for us, and how much she as taken care of us, not physically but emotionally as well. But that was back in August and I figured it would have been forgotten by now. Doctors have so many patients, I didn't think anything of it after sending it. But having her remember that meant so much. I told her she just did so much for us, and then she replied that she was just there is all. So humble, and that makes me like her even more.
She then asked how I am doing, if I'm doing what I think I need emotionally, and how Ryan and I are faring through all of this. Finally she asked if I had any questions, and I said a lot, to which she replied, 'Oh good!' with a smile. I'm so glad she doesn't make me feel rushed.
I found out my c-section was classic because the lower uterus was not developed yet. So, assuming I get further along in future pregnancies, my next c-section will be in my lower uterus and regular. The risk we face in future pregnancies, on top of already being high risk, is that the placenta could end up within my current c-section scar. It's something that can be found early on, and if that does happen I would have a hysterectomy immediately following birth of that child. Basically the placenta grows into the scar weakening the uterus even further and making it unfit for pregnancy. And, on top of all of this, I'm not even allowed to consider pregnancy for a full nine months from having Korbin. Trying again, and having another child, can soothe one's heart. But future children can never replace the one we've lost, and yet they can fill empty aching arms. All the same, it sucks knowing I shouldn't even be thinking about future pregnancies. Especially when so many around me are pregnant, having their children, or getting pregnant right now. It breaks my heart and it feels like a slap in the face. Like they're all wagging their fingers in my face and saying, 'Hahaha, I can do this and you can't!' It hurts a lot. And yet why should anyone not think about their own family just because I've lost part f mine?
The closest I can come to describing how my heart feels is to compare it to the few times in the far past that I thought I had lost Ryan completely. (No relationship is completely without issues, and thankfully we worked through them.) Thinking he was gone from me forever broke my heart, and is the only thing I can think of that is even remotely close to how my heart aches now. So thank God I do still have Ryan. I don't think I would be surviving like I am if he were gone too. We need each other to get through this as we're suffering the same loss. And it's hitting us extra hard right now because of the holidays. We aren't excited and all in a tither like everyone else is in their happy normal lives. But we have each other, and having Ryan next to me in this reminds me that I got a lotta love to give.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are allowed, and even should be encouraged to be thinking about future pregnancies. Even though for health reasons your OB has suggested that you wait, that doesn't mean that you can't put some energy towards imagining and planning your next pregnancy.

    To me, it seems that being able to think about your future children as well as your little angel, is a good sign. You are meant to mother more children.

    I'm mostly commenting so you know I'm reading. I can't imagine how hard every day, every moment must be for you. Sometimes I don't want to say anything for fear of being hurtful, but I know many just back away completely, which is probably worse.

    I do want to share something. I had a friend lose her child at 36 weeks the year before I got pregnant. It was really real to me, even though I hadn't experienced it myself. The bliss of ignorance was gone for me.

    Every day of my pregnancy, I felt like, "What if this is all I get?", and I felt that way through Tazio's infancy too. While that might sound sad, it was really quite a gift to me. I enjoyed my pregnancy, even though I felt awful. I enjoy every single day with my kiddo, and I make a point of loving the time I get with my child. If I had been ignorant still, and I had no idea about infant loss, I don't know that I would have the same attitude. I might be overwhelmed by the day to day and whine and complain, rather than celebrate my good luck and my human miracle that let my child be born safely.

    I can see in my mind's eye, you and Ryan, not long from now, welcoming another child into your family. Your joy will be tinged with sadness, because Korbin will always be with you, always be your first, and you will always think of him. You will love each day, breathe away the frustrations that accompany parenthood and replace them with the pleasure of getting to experience the things that were taken from you far too soon this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comment. If it makes your heart feel good to think about baby 2 give yourself permission, even if you do have to wait for your body to heal. I pray (I love that your dr.'s name is pray btw) that your body continues to heal along with your heart.

    ReplyDelete