Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Relief

Even though it's temporary, I'll take it. Baby Boy 2, Ryan and I kind of need a break right about now, and yesterday's check ups finally have us one.
I had an ultrasound to check the little guys dopplers. As time goes on I understand these more and more, and can even predict where he is depending on the numbers I see. Basically we're looking at the middle cerebral artery (the MCA) and checking the blood flow rate through that vessel. Ry and I had already prepped ourselves for the little guy needing another boost of blood this week, so the quick ultrasound left me totally shocked. His Doppler was fantastic, the MoM being 0.9! In the lower side of normal, instead of the higher and higher side since we first started this process.
We got a couple of pictures for the first time since 18weeks, and one is my favorite:


Look at those lips! So adorable.
Later in the day I met with perinatology to review things. Since last week's transfusion, my list of questions just kept growing, but the doc was patient and went over every one of them in detail for me.
One thing I was worried about was bruising of the vessel in the umbilical cord that they have him blood through. I only just got a bruise yesterday from the IV I had, could it still bruise and cause harm? Fortunately, a reaction like that would be immediate, and they look for it before they decide the transfusion is completely done. Whew!
And it turns out that it's safe to do two courses of the steroid shots for lung development. The next and last course will happen when the need for another transfusion comes up (which I seriously hope isn't for another week or even two). I thought it was just the one course I already received and that was it. I know they can help, but the doc assured me that babies born after the steroid shots do so much better than those without any steroid shots at all. Good!
We still have at least two more transfusions to look forward to, and that honestly scares the shit out of me. I don't think it's the preterm labor worry so much any more but just the small percentage of the time when the baby doesn't do well. The first one went so well, can that happen again? Twice more even? Almost seems like too much to ask for, but they just have to go well. They have to. Because we're bringing Baby Boy 2 home. 
One other thing that totally shocked me was the doc telling me how stoic I was for last week's transfusion. I was a wreck inside and out, or so I thought. Maybe it was just inside and all the amazing people saying their prayers along with us gave me the outward boost I needed to have to show that our little guy could handle this.
Through all the fear, I've got to have faith. The procedure is life-saving for Baby Boy 2, but knowing the risks doesn't make walking into each procedure any easier. We just need to keep praying and having our pep talks with the little guy that we'll get through this and being him home in the end.
Because we got a lotta love to give.


3 comments:

  1. You look adorable! What a journey this is for your family, but your sons will be very well loved!

    I wanted to mention something about blood types. Because Tazio was AB+ and I am A-, he was treated early for his jaundice. Having him on the bilibed is what I think messed with my milk production. There is something called a biliblanket, and if you have the opportunity ask about it before your little one is born. That would let you snuggle and nurse (which will make your milk come in just great), while he gets the light he needs. I will be getting one for sure if we ever have our own #2

    I really admire your bravery and love. I am looking forward to baby pictures many weeks in the future when your little Love is ready for the world! I think of you guys often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger doesn't seem to like me replying...so I'll try once more:
      Thanks so much for the blanket info! Definitely something worth asking about at my next appointment.

      Delete
    2. Gosh he's a cutie pie! If he ends up in the NICU for a bit, it might not be as much of an issue, but I am assuming that he'll be ready to go home shortly after being born because that is what I believe!

      Delete