Monday, February 3, 2014

28 weeks

Wow, another sigh of relief this week! I'm at the point now where I feel like we're on borrowed time, in a sense. I mean, we only got to 24w5d with Korbin. There was no gaurantee we'd get past that point with Baby Boy 2, especially with everything being thrown our way.
But I'm not complaining, and I will take it!
Another ultrasound today, and my cervix looks fantastic, and the little guy's dopplers are at 0.9 again. !!! Thank God!! He's super active, even kicking the ultrasound probe uber hard during the ultrasound, haha. The past two ultrasounds have been with an affiliate practice, and they love to give patients pictures. I love that they love to do so!


A perfect profile...and then we got a couple 3-D pictures:



Chubby chipmunk cheeks!
And he was breathing and sucking his thumb too. All in all, a very good ultrasound appointment.
Then I met with the perinatologist, and we went over my always long list of questions. After hearing about someone else's experience with the bili light being due to her baby being premature, I wondered if that's why this little guy would need it, and not for the blood breakdown byproducts like I had thought. Turns out there are many reasons, prematurity being one, but also the byproduct build up issue, which is what our next little guy will need it for. I wasn't worried about the light until I learned recently that it can take away from bonding time and even the ease of breast feeding, both things I so desperately need to go well as I missed out on them with Korbin. A friend mentioned that there is a bili blanket, which can facilitate the bonding and allow for easier breast feeding, so I will have to discuss this at my next appointment.
I had to ask about future IUTs, as we are still expecting to do two more during the pregnancy. Does the risk if preterm labor increase with each one? The risks to Baby Boy 2? Infection? No, except after 34 weeks which is why delivery is the best option instead attempting an IUT. Once he's born, he can receive blood transfusions much more easily and with much less risk than while in utero. Plus, just being at 28 weeks now increases his odds of viability by 90% already, and more and more with each week we get to at this point. That was so reassuring to hear, and we'll let this little guy keep cooking for as long as possible!
Such a major hurdle to have gotten past, and I didn't realize we were passing it just yet. I thought we'd have to get to 32 weeks to see odds like that. But it's good to know he'd do so well if he had to be born sooner than later.
Keep cookin' Baby Boy 2!
Because we got a lotta love to give.

1 comment:

  1. What a great birthday present! I've got my whole community group praying for you and little man, I hope you're feeling the love! Good job, little buddy, keep up this trend!

    ReplyDelete