Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Transfusion #2


On Monday we got the news that, even though our little guy is still looking happy and moving around well, it was time to do another transfusion. I had sincerely been hoping that this wouldn't have to happen again, but somehow also felt a bit more prepared for this one. I learned so much more about the transfusions and all the changes that happen in a baby's body because of them.
Basically, once a transfusion has happened, Baby Boy 2's bone marrow stops making red blood cells because the body is showing that there are plenty to go around already. Naturally, these adult RBCs start to die off after a bit, and the little guy's body just isn't ready to make their own just yet. That's when the dopplers spike suddenly, and now the range has shortened. The cut off used to be 1.5, now it's about 1.32. He was at 1.34 Monday. They got me in for a non stress test to really be sure he was doing okay despite possibly becoming anemic again. Being at 31weeks, we're at this precarious spot of timing being good for a transfusion, possibly carrying him through to 34weeks without another one, and the procedure actually throwing me into labor because we're yet again bugging my uterus. Thankfully there are many ways to slow or stop labor, but I still want to get into that position needing them!
We got set up for the transfusion Tuesday. I packed a bag this time because, really, we could be having him and we need to be prepared. The important things to have were our Korbin Bear, the NICU booklet for me to peruse in case there was anything else I needed or wanted to be prepared for, and our birthing plan. Thankfully there are still some things we can have a say in, despite a possible emergency c-section and our little guy most likely being whisked away immediately to be sure he is fine.
Feeling as prepared as I could be for another extremely scary procedure that I still wish we didn't have to worry about in the first place, we checked in and the set up for the procedure began. I was having the occasional contraction, so they checked my cervix and then gave me a shot of terbutaline to stop them as they can interfere with the procedure. They immediately calmed down, thankfully.
This time I asked Ry to take a few pictures. They don't fully capture the controlled chaos I feel surrounded by, but they do show just how many people it takes to do this relatively quick yet risky procedure:



Everyone looks so much more spaced out from this perspective, but it feels so claustrophobic from mine. What I have to remember is that it is truly amazing that procedures such as this one exist to more safely bring children like our Baby Love 2 into this world. Without it, he'd be struggling, possibly having been born at 26weeks due to his anemia starting then.
Right now, he's a happy little active guy, squirming and kicking and punching and growing still. And he's still right here:


(All I have to show for the procedure is that band-aid, it makes it look like it was really nothing!)
Now we're just hoping to make it another few weeks, with 34weeks being our new goal now. Basically, he'll most likely be needing a transfusion by then, but the transfusions are easier to do on him outside of me at that point so we'd deliver and then he'll be treated as needed afterward.
My only concern at the moment is keeping him in my belly until then. I have been having contractions today, but the docs already determined I'm not laboring, my cervix is fine and doing it's job, and so I was still discharged. I have to keep reminding myself that they trust that my body is fine, so I need to trust that all is fine as well. Of course if the contractions do become more rhythmic and intense, I will call and go in if needed. Anything to be sure we make it as far as possible!
This whole process is just so stressful, and so I'm relieved to be done with the second procedure, and hopeful we don't need to go through this again. I'm trying to remain as calm as is completely possible. And I'm trying to trust that we can do this. That we can get through the next few weeks safely and without too much more worry (surely there can't be any more than what's already been thrown our way, right?).
Because we got a lotta love to give.

1 comment:

  1. Look at that beautiful belly! Love the picture of all those bored-looking doctors and nurses...makes it seem like they do this every day and it's no biggie at all. You are doing AMAZING, Mama Love! Thank you for sharing your journey, we will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete