Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Triage, take 2

Sunday night we went again, this time for about 4 hours. I honestly thought this was it, I was going into labor, and fear almost paralyzed me. Thankfully, nothing's wrong with baby, and I was not going into labor. But it was stressful!
About 8:30pm, I had sudden sharp and radiating pain in my back, mostly on the left side. I could massage it away or stretch it out, in fact that made it worse. And then all I could think about was the back pain I had at 23 weeks with Korbin and how the perinatologist said she suspects that was actually labor starting. I panicked, and started crying and praying that we weren't going to lose another child.
I called the on-call doc and she said come right in. When we got there they immediately started checking for contractions and if I was dialating or not. Well, my cervix was fine, and there were no contractions. So why the pain? After a few tests, a bolts of fluid via IV and some narcotics to make it go away (which it did), turns out I was passing a kidney stone. Seriously, a kidney stone causes that much pain? I've never had one before, and of course the timing had to be just right to send my heart into full blown panic mode.
As the doc said, I've never been so glad for a kidney stone. I do have questions still, like is this likely to happen again in the next few months? Are my kidneys okay? Will this get worse because of being pregnant? Can I do anything more to prevent them? Plus more to follow up with my OB on Monday.
The kicker was that we both hadn't slept well the night before, and we didn 'to get home from this till 2am. Exhausting, physically and emotionally.
Of course everything is fine with baby still, so panic wasn't necessary. But I don't know any different. And with little more than 3 months to go, I don't want anything more to go wrong. There's already too much to worry and stress about.
Because we got a lotta love to give.

1 comment:

  1. How scary! Glad you weren't in labor. Kidney stones are incredibly painful (haven't had one myself, but I watched my dad deal with one in the ER). 3 months to go...you are doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete