Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Perinatology, take...???

I've lost count already. Four? Five? Anyway, the next blood flow check was today, new doc met, and much relief felt. We're not in the clear, but we are STILL so far so good. Whew!
The ultrasound was a full anatomy scan, as well as checking Baby Boy 2s blood flow. What they need to know now is how big he is in the off chance they need to do a transfusion. At this point, that would still be about three weeks out, so I don't want to focus on that. It was so good to see how well he is developing, and before even seeing the doc, the original doc I had been seeing (who reviewed today's ultrasound too) actually came in to tell me herself that things look good today. Yay! And my cervix is still cooperating. Yay again!
Next I met with the doc to review everything. I think I finally understand what this cut off number is, the 1.5 I've been freaked out about. The measurement of blood flow through an artery in Baby Boy 2s brain is taken in cm/s^2. This rate is then compared to a median that is known for each gestational age (it changes as baby grows and develops) by dividing the measured rate by the median rate to give what multiple of the median baby is at, 1.5 being one and a half times the median rate, and the cut off for normal to abnormal blood flow. Today he was at 1.2! This can fluctuate and change as he keeps growing, and is good in normal range right now. When I found out it was okay today, I sat and had a chat with Baby Boy 2 about how well he's doing, and continuing to grow and be strong and make his red blood cells so he can stay healthy for as long as possible.
We also talked about my cervix. Apparently at this point it's become a non-issue. At 24weeks, if it measures normal, then the likelihood of anything happening to it (aside from contractions causing it to go away) is next to nothing. We'll still monitor it, but it is no longer a reason I'd go into labor early. Just need to keep hydrated and calm and relaxed as possible!
So, good news today. Definitely needed! I still have an appointment next week, but if things look normal still, we're back to monitoring every two weeks. Another yay! Can we keep the good, relieving news coming?
Because we got a lotta love to give.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Things will get better. Praying for you!! You're getting so close.

    ReplyDelete