Sunday, March 16, 2014

Two Days Old

Two days old and still so much happening with my second baby's tiny little body. He's getting daily blood draws to check his bilirubin levels; his poor feet! And his primary nurse is talking about putting in a PICC line, which can be difficult to do as it involves threading a tiny wire tube through a main vein in his foot, or hand or even head, all the way to his abdomen. How does nothing get punctured?!? This will help with getting him basic nutrients, though, until his stomach and intestines have developed enough to give him breast milk.
Unfortunately, the pneumo came back, this time covering the whole front of his chest, and again restricting his breathing. This area is too risky to aspirate by needle as they could easily puncture his lungs, so they opted for oxygen displacement therapy. They basically are flooding his body with 100% oxygen to push out the nitrogen buildup. The oxygen will then be reabsorbed by his body, and hopefully his lungs can continue to develop and heal.
The orangey spot below on his chest is the bit of bleeding below the sticky bandage they put over the aspiration site. :(


With every visit, during his care times so that I can see him without the lights, maybe even do a diaper change and take his temperature, I talk to Parker. I'm trying to keep this up, just like when he was still in my belly. Encouraging, telling him how strong he is, reminding him that he's a fighter and we're taking him home. I don't know if he can hear me through all the head gear and tubes and wires, but I still talk to him.


Today I am walking a bit further, down the hall without the wheel chair. It's difficult, but I've got to get up and move. To see Parker and to get myself healing that much faster. The perinatologist on staff is talking about my discharge now, which I don't want to think about as it means leaving the hospital without my baby, again. But, they may give me one more day, and then I can sign up for the parent rooms which are attached to the NICU. That way I'm still here, and I don't have to leave Parker here just yet.
Because I got a lotta love to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment