Thursday, March 6, 2014

Discharged

What a week. And it ended in a whirlwind this morning. At this point I'm thankful to be home and relaxing, and still pregnant with our happy little guy.
I woke up this morning completely not feeling one way or the other how things would go. Would his Doppler recheck be okay? Would I have more contractions? How long would my next NST last? So many unknowns.
I had my usual morning chat with Baby Boy 2, but this time I really emphasized that we're going to do whatever he needs us to do. And I told him that he needs to show all of us which direction things will go today. If he needs more help than what my body can do for him, okay. Time to move up delivery. But if he's still okay in there, still our happy little guy I feel kicking me and moving around, then he's got to be pretty clear about that too. We don't want to jump the gun on anything here!
During the ultrasound, one of the Doppler levels looked normal, but the other two were still high like Tuesday morning. And yet he was moving and grooving, opening and closing his hands, even practicing his breathing, his little diaphragm moving back and forth so well. Despite being so familiar with the Doppler levels and what they mean, I still had no clue what sort of decision would be made with this bit of info.
Next was the NST. As I got all settled after being hooked up to the monitors, the nurse started questioning when I last ate and drank anything. And then she took away my water and said we're just going to see what that does right now. I honestly just thought they wanted to see if I would still have contractions during monitoring like I typically do. To keep my mind off of it (because it stresses me out), I just started reading.
An hour later the nurse came back and said things looked worse on the Doppler, but the doctor is consulting who is the head doc for my case. In the meantime we need to keep monitoring.
Another hour later, she came back again to say we can go off the monitors, no c-section today, but I won't be discharged. I quickly let Ryan know that the good news was we weren't delivering early, but unfortunately I'm still not coming home. I started to make a list of things I'd like him to bring because now I was going to be there a while for sure. And I was seriously lacking some basic items still.
Well, another hour later, the doctor on rotation today came in to go over everything with me. First off, I'm being discharged. Second, the little guy is very obviously still happy inside my belly and not struggling, so they don't want to bring him out too soon. I asked if there was any reason to be concerned about his brain function with what the Doppler is showing. She said no, definitely not. He's basically stabilized at this point, and she as well as the other docs are very confident he has a good blood supply at this point based on the hematocrit they got him to after the last transfusion.
They feel like we can still make it to 34 weeks, but that trying to get to 35 weeks is pushing things too far.
I'm glad they feel confident we can keep him cooking for a bit longer. It really changes how delivery and then NICU care goes for him. Delivering pre-34 weeks, he'd be whisked away with us barely being able to see him, and only Ry could go to the NICU as I still have to recover. If we can get to 34 weeks, we'll be able to see him, and as long as he is breathing well, he could even come back to my room with me for a little bit before being taken to the NICU. I like that option so much more. Just emotionally and mentally I think it will help me to really know he's okay and with us still. Versus being whisked away immediately I think would throw me back to having and then so suddenly losing Korbin. And with how traumatizing that was, I think it could traumatize me again.
So, from being prepped for delivery, to no delivery but staying for monitoring still, to finally being discharged, I'm exhausted. All over again. I'm relieved to be home, and so happy to be with Ryan and the pups. And I'm still pregnant with our very active, happy little guy. Who's currently kicking my diaphragm like it's in his way. Just like he should be, and hopefully will be able to do until 34 weeks.
Until then, I pray Korbin is watching over his little brother, and that I only have occasional, or even no, contractions.
Here's to making it to 34 weeks!
Because we got a lotta love to give.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you get to sleep the night in your own bed, relax with your hubby and your pups, and cook that baby just a little bit longer. It sounds like your doctors are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thankfully we got set up with an amazing, and the best for what we're dealing with. I couldn't ask for more from them!

      Delete
  2. You're so close, you've got this! You both are such great parents to him already. You're making sure he is ok and has what he needs, which is so important. Pat on the back to you ;). He'll be here before you know it ... if you can, try and enjoy these last few weeks of him in your belly, you may miss feeling his squirms and kicks once he arrives ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've totally been wondering about that! I'm excited to finally be able to meet him so soon, but at the same time, his kicks, even when they hurt, make me smile so much. And when his really sticks his butt up and out too...I'm going to cherish these moments, just as I cherish the kicks from Korbin!

      Delete