Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Opinions

You can read about this anywhere on the internet these days. How moms need to band together and support each other despite our differing opinions on parenting. Because we're all just doing the same thing: taking care of our children the best way we see fit.
I know I can be judgy. There's just a huge difference between thinking the judgment and acting upon it. What I have chosen is not what works for every other parent out there, nor every child for that matter. (There are few things that this does not really cover, however, vaccines being one of them because that affects my childand  every other child one will come into contact with...but that's a post for another day!)
Depsite knowing that we all will judge, it still takes me aback when I am confronted with anothers judgmental attitude. For instance, at a family function recently, one family brought up how long I was continuing to breastfeed P. I calmly said that I'm letting him self wean, which may be a while. This person said she just can't understand nursing a child who can ask for it, that it's just plain wierd. And furthermore, she just doesn't want to see it. So. Much. Judgment.
I said that I'll nurse him till he's four or five if that's how long it goes, and I don't mind the length of time people nurse. I did not comment on nursing in public, but instead nursed P (at the dinner table!) just after dinner.
I then came across this great article to all those judging outwardly, and it all boiled down to this one major point: you don't have to watch.
Yes! If you don't want to see it, you don't have to look, stare, or even comment on it. I think snot is disgusting, and I'd rather not see kids blow their nose. So will you just keep that to a bathroom stall from now on please? I know you have a tossue in your purse that's super handy, but I really don't want to see that. Or I can just not watch it!
Ry pointed out on the way home from dinner that night that P already asks for it. He may not say 'milk' but we both know when he's asking to nurse. Not gonna stop, especially with the APA saying to continue at least four times a day till age two.
We need to build each other up, support each other in our differing approaches to parenting. Because we're all just doing the best we can. I know I am.
And I got a lotta love to give.

1 comment: