Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Another Motto to Live By

Do what you love, and love what you do. For me, I definitely love what I do. Working with patients and in the lab, I've found the perfect balance in my work in the fertility world. But lately, especially after getting to be a mom to my wonderful Mr. P, I've begun questioning whether I really do what I love.
Can they be two separate things? For me, yes. With the latter part of the motto, despite not making it into med school and become a surgeon like I'd ensvisioned, I've found I truly love the balance of lab benchwork and patient interaction. I start my day assessing embryos to give patients the best odds possible, and end telling those patients how we came this point in their cycle. Seeing their emotion in the lrocess reinforces my drive to keep doing this five days a week. It's never boring or repetitive, as each day has it's own challenges. All things I sought in medicine, and have found in this clinical lab setting. It's wonderful to feel so fulfilled in my career.
Outside of my career, however, is a whole other story. I know I love what I do, but am I really doing what I love? After becoming a mom to P, what has been left behind that I feel is lacking? Art, creativity. Sketching. Painting. Creating. I so miss it. Every so often there's a smidgen of time to whip out a quick sketch. But I'd love to desicate more time to creating with a purpose. Within that I would need to find the perfect balance of art and science (because I'm still a nerd, after all). And doing enough to feel fulfilled but not so much it becomes a chore that I have to get done just to get it done and out. A new challenge! I love challenges.
Trying something new is always stressful, sketching is my greatest destressor.


Nothing crazy, but boy did it feel good. Amazing what a small amount of me time can do!
Now back to mothering my little man.
Because I got a lotta love to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment