Monday, December 9, 2013

Triage

Well, it was bound to happen, especially now that we're at the one-month-till-the-time-we-had-Korbin mark. I had a strange tightening/pressure throughout my belly, and so I called the on-call doc on Saturday evening just to hopefully get some reassurance. Instead of simple reassurance that what I am experiencing is normal (I still don't know if it is or not) she said I should come right in to get get checked out due to my history.
Ryan was out with a friend getting take-out for the evening. When they got back, I did my best to remain calm while saying sorry we couldn't just watch a movie and hang out but we actually needed to head straight to the hospital. I probably wasn't as calm sounding or looking as I had hoped, and I definitely felt some panic from Ryan as he tried to rush us all out the door without locking anything up.
Once we got to triage, I was hooked up to a monitor that detects contractions, listened to Baby Boy 2s heart beat and had my blood pressure checked. Everything looked fine, even my blood pressure despite the stress of the evening. We had to wait for the ultrasound tech to get my cervix checked (she was monitoring an earlier patient still), and time just felt like it was standing still.
When we finally got in, everything looked normal, again. My cervix is just how it is supposed to be. Baby Boy 2s heart beat looked great, and There is a normal amount of amniotic fluid still. So what the heck do we do? After two hours (felt like way more) we were discharged with instructions to not change a single thing that I'm doing. Eat the same, exercise activity level the same. Work.
I'm relieved, and glad we just went in even though nothing was wrong. What I really need to work on is not feeling like I'm just being crazy or paranoid. I am being realistic as all I know is loss, and we most definitely don't want that again. Better safe than sorry, and we've been sorry one too many times before.
Also, the stomach tightening thing was a major trigger for me to start to panic on Saturday as it was a symptom I had written down to ask my OB at my 24week appointment. The very same appointment that turned into an emergency c-section and the loss of Korbin. All I could think was, 'was this a sign that I completely missed last time?' How could I be so clueless? I can't make the same mistake twice. I just CAN'T.
But that was apparently a nothing symptom that they weren't even worried about. More questions for my OB Wednesday at my actual appointment.
But this time I didn't just wait it out. I got checked out, even if it was all for nothing.
Because I got a lotta love to give.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. Do it every time you are worried :-) They are there for you, and it's OK to be "paranoid". Call it reassuring yourself, and that is priceless!

    ReplyDelete