Friday, January 14, 2011

To new beginnings

Life is certainly an adventure. As I'm preparing myself mentally, emotionally, and even financially for the possibility of getting into medical school and reaching my dream of becoming a physician, I am continually learning about myself. I am finding out just how much I can juggle and keep up with life still. And how much love I have to give in this short life we live. With so much going on in my head, I decided starting a blog to keep track of my progress in life would be the best thing to do. I may or may not check in every day, but I can at least rely on this for getting some of my thoughts out. There are so many things I want to do in life, and talk about. Due to people having vastly different opinions leading to heated discussions, I want to get my thoughts out here, uninterupted and pure. Along with keeping track of my journey into becoming a practicing physician, I want to sound off on such topics as health care reform, dealing with family who is extremely opposite my political and social standing in life, why I want to be a doctor and the things I want to do for mankind (maybe if I write it down, it really really really will happen).

To start off, an issue to consider for a young woman of my age (27) who is embarking on a long and very difficult journey to my intended career is children. I am happily married, and falling more and more in love each day. But what comes with that is seeing the beautiful potential of starting a family. And yet, when is the timing right? Now? Or ten years down the road? Or should we have started a few years ago to make getting through medical school and residency that much easier on myself? Am I nuts for even thinking now could be okay and trying to convince my husband of this?

My husband is not ready, and yet the desire for children grows stronger. And so I am now questioning where that deep yearning comes from. Why do I want kids besides just the fact that my biological clock is ticking frantically? Because I want to take care of people, which is essentially why I want to be a physician. I thought about fostering, but my husband isn't ready for us to even have kids in the house. So I am thinking of working with kids at the Boys and Girls Club in the Rainier Beach area south of Seattle. I am hoping this will give me the kid exposure I am craving, as well as even at least partially fulfilling the desire to care for children in any way possible.

One little piece of what's been happening in my head. So much to do, so little time. So time to get a move on. Time to make my dreams come true.
Because I have a lotta love to give.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the name of your blog (no pun intended). I look forward to peeking in on your journey every once in a while. Wishing you lots of luck in 2011 as you navigate the road that is your amazing future!

    ReplyDelete